As new regulations and public opinion shift to a larger focus on energy efficiency, the Whole Building Design concept empowers businesses to meet and exceed expectations. Buildings account for 40% of total energy use in the U.S. with 20% of that energy use wasted.
The construction industry can act to integrate improved energy efficiency into commercial construction. A focus on energy-efficient construction improves the environment, promotes public goodwill and saves businesses money. At ARC Construction, we invest in innovative solutions to help our clients design and build cutting-edge facilities.
What is Whole Building Design?
The idea of Whole Building Design isn’t new. Yet, in recent years this concept has emerged into a more fully developed design and construction practice. Whole Building Design integrates all parts of the building process creating a framework for different areas and expertise to work together as a team.
The goal is to create buildings that operate as a complete system through intentional design and construction with a focus on operational efficiency. Whole Building Design builds in the creative use of spaces to maximize energy function. In fact, buildings developed with Whole Building Design operate up to 70% more efficiently than conventional buildings.
Benefits of Whole Building Design
This emerging concept introduces many benefits for commercial operations. Investing in new construction and retrofits takes time and money. Therefore, it makes sense to invest in construction methods that provide lasting results and long-term savings.
- Reduce energy costs – Your bottom line matters. Incorporating energy-saving systems lowers operational costs. Heating and cooling alone account for 20% of commercial energy use. Optimizing temperature control by building smart solutions helps reduce costs without sacrificing comfort.
- Meet new energy standards – Shifts in government regulations now make it a requirement for businesses to lower the carbon footprint. These regulations are likely to only become more stringent. As such, it’s smart to invest in energy-efficient construction and remodels. Avoid fines and other risks by starting now with upgrades to meet new standards.
- Promote a positive public image – Businesses today are under more public spotlight than ever. Get ahead of messaging by proactively adding energy-efficient practices. Take advantage of the social consciousness of the public with intentional communication regarding the benefits of Whole Building Design.
How It Works
One example of how Whole Building Design works is with building lighting. To improve this one function, each aspect of the building must work in concert for maximum efficiency. Designing a narrower building allows more natural light to flow in from windows, known as daylighting. Light-colored walls and other surfaces reflect light, more efficiently using natural light. LED lights reduce energy use and last longer than incandescent lighting. While solar panels produce energy used within the building.
The different parts, from architecture to interior design, work together toward the same goal of reducing energy use for lighting.
Key Strategies for Whole Building Design
Whole Building Design takes a variety of efficient building practices and combines them to create a strategic approach to optimize energy-efficient construction.
The specific aim of this design concept focuses on a few key strategies:
- Improve heating, cooling and lighting to conserve energy and use more natural sources of energy.
- Incorporate renewable energy sources, like solar panels.
- Optimize building performance and system control strategies.
- Develop and practice monitoring through reporting and industry coordination.
- Integrate water-saving solutions.
- Use these strategies for all types of commercial construction, including new builds, retrofits and renovations.
Invest in Smart Construction
At ARC Construction, we stay up-to-date on new and emerging technologies and trends. Our goal is to bring you the latest advances in construction. You’re then confident that when you invest in commercial construction, you receive options to keep your business relevant and compliant while meeting your operational goals.
Contact us today to learn more!